Sunday, December 14, 2008

Sunday Scribblings #141- I Knew Instantly...

After being stuck at home by myself for two entire weeks, I was bored out of my mind! My brothers had went to visit cousins in another city and hadn't returned yet. When my dad came home one night, he informed me that I would be alone for at least another whole week. The boys had decided to stay with them for an extended time.

"Another whole week?" I thought to myself, "No way am I going to stay here and be bored out of my mind for another whole week, I'm going nuts as it is!"

That's when I decided to ask my father if he would mind driving an hour and a half away so that I could join in the fun that my brothers were apparently having while being there. After calling the Aunt that I would be imposing on, my father agreed to the drive.

When I got to their home, one of my girl cousins had decided to show me around the small town in which she lived. First, we went to her brother's place and when she said, "Come on, I want you to meet his roommate." I knew instantly, that she was already trying to play "match maker" with me and her brother's roommate. I knew it by her tone. She was always trying to play "match maker" with somebody and most of the time they weren't matches at all. Trying to avoid the game (because I really wasn't looking for someone that far away from my home), I told her that we could wait until later. Besides, I had the whole week, right? She wouldn't accept it and took me by the arm. We walked right up to his bedroom door and she knocked on it.

"What?" We heard a voice behind the door ask.

"Are you decent? I want you to meet my cousin. Can we come in?"

"Yeah, come on in," the voice behind the door said.

My cousin opened the door and introduced me to him. When I laid my eyes on S, I knew instantly that I would marry him and be with him for the rest of my life. At that moment, I did not want to admit to it. I even argued with myself on that. "No way," I said to myself. Mind you, that I did NOT want a relationship with someone so far away from my home.

I seriously tried to go on through the day without thinking about him, but to no avail. It seemed like every where I turned that day, he was right there. At the gas station, the park, McDonalds, and even my own Aunt's house! There was no getting away from him, I tell you! I thought for a minute that maybe he was stalking me, but then it WAS an itty bitty town and you really couldn't help but run into people there all day long.

Throughout the week we got to know each other better, he showed me around other places, and we enjoyed each other's company. A week after that, we started seeing each other and I decided to stay there for a bit longer instead of going home. Two years and two weeks later, we were married.

That was over 10 years ago. We are still very much in love with each other. Our marriage hasn't always been perfect, but we have learned and are still learning from the mistakes that we had made/will make. The most valuable things we have learned so far are that we can't sweat the small stuff and that our love for each other is truly strong enough to help us get through the rough times in life and boy have we had some rough times!

Click here to join in on the "Sunday Scribblings" fun!

8 comments:

Rambler said...

some instincts work out so wonderfully..glad it did for you

Neilina said...

Ooooh...this is just lovely! I have heard about that special spark and now came to know. :)

BJ Roan said...

An excellent "I knew instantly". Congratulations!

sunny said...

That's what it is all about.

Tumblewords: said...

Very nice!!

rosey said...

What a heart warming story. Has he got a spare brother?!!!

Elisabeth said...

Thank you everyone for your comments.

Rosey- His spare brother is a very difficult person to get along with.

gel said...

mmmm- Those fall in love at first sight stories are wonderful. I enjoyed your writing buildup and easy tone.
(here from sun. scribs.)

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...